Hello, everyone! We have a lot going on this month:
- First, we’ll be having our weekly meeting tonight at 7:30 PM. The agenda is here. We have a lot to discuss, including upcoming events for December and the progress of ongoing campaigns, so come join us!
- This Sunday afternoon, from 1-4 PM, we’re having an Open House for those interested in taking an in-depth tour of the space and to see it in action. Refreshments will be provided.
- Starting this month, we’ll be having a new regular event – Tool Tuesday! One Tuesday a month, we’ll be taking some time after our regular meeting to showcase a piece of equipment in the space and demonstrate its use. To kick this off, we’ll be having two Tool Tuesdays in December! The first will be on December 13th, where Will Tilson will be doing a demonstration of the metal lathe he brought into the space recently. The following week, on December 20th, Brent Michalowski will be showing us the many things you can do with a laser engraver. Both are bound to be exciting, so I hope you can come out and see them!
Thanks for reading, and we hope to see you at the space!
My name is Nicole Schwartz and I am a board member for Hacksburg. I wanted to tell you about some upcoming events.
We’re your neighbors in the CRC (Corporate Research Center) at 2200 Kraft Drive, Suite 1475, Blacksburg, VA Hacksburg is Blacksburg’s first makerspace. A makerspace is just your dream garage, at a fraction of the cost, and full of smart people. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization consisting members (Open to anyone 18+) who can join for one month to one year at a time. Our space, which is accessible 24/7 to members, has a large assortment of tools and equipment that members can use to do their own projects, and also allows members to bounce ideas off of one another making working in the shop more fun. We also host many classes, that are open to the public, on a variety of topics through the year.
Please come out and meet us at one of our upcoming events and do keep us in mind for end of year donations, we are very happy to take in kind donations of working tools and equipment or money as a 501(c)(3)non profit charitable organization.
December 6 (actually every Tuesday) at 7:30 we have our weekly meeting, open to the public, followed by our work session, open to the public. Everyone is welcome to stop by and get a tour, work on a project or bounce ideas around!
Dec 11 at 1pm-4pm we will be hosting an open house, stop in to get a tour of our space, some tea or coco, and be able to ask any questions about our organization. This is open to everyone!
Dec 13 at 7:30, following out meeting, we will be having our Tool Tuesday presentation on using the metal lathe in the shop. This is open to everyone!
If you would like more information
how to donate
We’re having a general meeting tonight at 7:30 PM at the space. The agenda is here. We have a lot to discuss tonight, including new policies, new events, new campaigns, and new web offerings, so please attend if you can.
Thanks for reading, and we hope to see you tonight!
Hello, all. A few things before everyone heads out for Thanksgiving:
- I’d like to welcome Brent Michalowski and Will Tilson to Hacksburg’s Board of Directors, who were elected at last week’s annual meeting to replace Nicole and I when we eventually step down (Nicole on January 1, me in Q1). They both have been instrumental in bringing new tools and equipment to the space – the CNC mill, the lathe, and two metalworking rigs – and both have a lot of passion and dedication to the space and making itself. So, the next time you see them, congratulate them!
- In light of this week’s Thanksgiving holiday, there will be no meeting tomorrow, November 22. The space will still be open to members.
- In the next few weeks, the wiki may experience some outages as I upgrade the server to containerize the web apps we currently have and make future expansion easier.
- This is a reminder that this week is the last week to sign up for our drone class if you want to build a drone. The deadline is this Saturday (November 26), and you can buy tickets here. After Saturday, you can still buy tickets for the class, but you won’t be able to build the drone unless you buy the kit yourself. Our Facebook page for the event is here
Thanks for reading.
We are excited to try out a new platform, Patreon. People may submit donations and each time we produce an electronic newsletter they will be charged their pledged donation amount! We plan to have our newsletter include pictures of the space, pictures and notes about projects members have done over the month, and notes and information about any classes or events that were hosted.
If you are not a Patreon user you can of course always donate working (used) tools and equipment or money in other ways:
And you can also donate when you shop!
- Support Hacksburg each time you shop on Amazon using Amazon Smile [https://smile.amazon.com/]?
- If you already use Amazon Smile here are directions to change your charitable organization. [https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201365360]
Kroger Community Rewards
- You can help Hacksburg out every time you shop as we are enrolled with the Kroger Community Rewards Program.
- To enroll your Kroger Plus Card
- Visit [http://krogercommunityrewards.com] (be sure to have your Kroger Plus Card!)
- Click Register if you do not yet have a community rewards website, otherwise click sign in
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Search for us by our NPO 86979, then select organization from list and click on confirm.